This was the 80th edition of the programme wherein PM Modi spoke about national issues.
Here are the key takeaways from Modi’s address-
Olympics and sports
- PM Modi said the passion for sports in the youth of the country at the present times is the greatest tribute to Major Dhyan Chand.
- “Irrespective of the number of medals won, no citizen of India enjoys victory until a medal is won in hockey. And this time, in the Olympics, the medal that was won for hockey came our way after four decades,” PM said.
- “This time, Olympics have created a major impact. The events at the Olympics are over; the
Paralympicsare going on. Whatever our country earned in this world of Sports may be little in comparison with the world, but enough has happened to bolster our belief,” PM Modi said.
- “In the country now,
Sports and Games, sportsman spiritis not to stop. In family life, in social life, in the life of the Nation, this momentum has to be accorded permanence…infusing it with energy…replenishing it with relentless new energy,” said PM.
Janmashtami and Iscon
- Extending greetings for Krishna Janmashtami, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday urged the countrymen to carry forward the great traditions of the nation.
- “The festival of Janmashtami is the festival of birth of Bhagwan Shri Krishna. We are familiar with all the forms of Bhagwan, from naughty Kanhaiya to the one taking Colossal form Krishna, from the one well versed in scriptures to one skilled in weaponary. Be it art, beauty, charm, where all is not Krishna there! But I am saying all this because a few days before Janmashtami I had gone through an interesting experience. So I felt I should talk about this to you. You must be aware that on the 20th of this month the construction work related to Bhagwan Somnath temple has been dedicated to the people.”
- He said about 3-4 kilometres away from Somnath temple there is the
Bhalka Teerthwhich is the place where Lord Krishna spent his last moments on earth.
- Prime Minister further mentioned Jadurani Dasi, a US citizen and shared her conversation with him.
- “Jadurani Dasi ji is American and is connected to
ISKCON, connected to Hare Krishna movement and one of her major specialities is that she is skilled in Bhakti Arts. I had a long chat with her, but I want you to listen to some parts of it,” he said.
- “Friends, when the people of the world pay heed to Indian spiritual systems and philosophy today, then we also have a responsibility to carry forward these great traditions,” he added.
- Stating that the toy industry has a huge market of around Rs 6 to 7 lakh crore in the world, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his monthly radio programme ‘Mann Ki Baat’ on Sunday stated that the country’s youth have resolved to make an impact of Indian toys globally.
- He said that youth today is focussing on improving the processes, variety and technology in toy-making and experimenting with new things.
- Further appreciating the potential of the country’s youth, PM Modi stated that a large percentage of youth is eager to take risks and want to venture into startups.
- He said that today’s youth wants to explore the unknown fields by setting new goals, chalking out new paths, and having a new set of aspirations.
(With inputs from agencies)