The Metropolitian Police has said it received a “report of sexual assault” against Russell Brand over the weekend following allegations published in The Times, Sunday Times and Channel 4.
“We are aware of reporting by The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches about allegations of sexual offences,” said a statement in the past few minutes. “On Sunday, 17 September, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003. Officers are in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support.”
The Met said it had first spoken to the newspapers on 16 September and has since made further approaches to “ensure that anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sexual offence is aware of how to report this to the police.”
“We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us,” it added.
On Saturday, Brand preemptively denied the “litany” of allegations about his criminal behavior, which were published several hours later and included allegations of rape and sexual assault. He denies all claims and says all relationships were consensual.
The allegations published in The Times are alleged to have happened between 2006 and 2013 but the Met’s complaint is from three years prior.
Deadline also revealed this morning that Brand’s last major television job in the UK ended with him being dropped after he was repeatedly accused of being a “sexual predator” during the recording of Comedy Central’s Roast Battle.
He hasn’t had a mainstream TV gig for years but previously hosted a wealth of TV and radio shows, along with appearing in Hollywood movies and touring.